Its objectives are:
- To deepen in the eco-systemic theories to interpret urban and territorial systems, within the framework of Urban Ecology: flows of matter, energy and information.
- Develop the concept of Sustainability applied to the whole city-territory.
- Contribute knowledge and provide a conceptual framework for the configuration of sustainable territorial and urban models, with a view to environmental and urban planning and management.
- Study the instruments and techniques of environmental analysis and evaluation of architecture, city and territory, as well as its applications in planning and management, in the context of strategies for sustainability.
- Initiate the student in the socio-economic assessment of urban environmental goods of public nature and provide tools for environmental assessment of the city and territory.
To achieve these, are studied:
- Principles and bases of urban ecology applied to the analysis of territorial and urban sustainability: city as an ecosystem. Balance of matter, energy and information of urban-territorial systems.
- Main indicators of territorial and urban sustainability: conservation of the ecological matrix of the territory, land consumption and saving of natural resources, energy efficiency, conservation and use of biodiversity, ecological permeability, water cycle, landscape quality, etc., relating them to the models of city and use of the territory.
- Main areas, instruments and techniques of analysis, evaluation, planning and management of architectural, territorial and urban application, with special emphasis on strategies towards sustainability and action plans that are derived, according to the following structure: valuation of goods without market (environmental) of architectural, urban and territorial character, instruments of analysis, planning and environmental management of the territory; environmental information systems, environmental diagnosis and audits, citizen participation instruments, strategic planning instruments for sustainability: local agendas 21 and local action plans, environmental planning, networks of protected natural spaces, control of air pollution, planning of the mobility, environmental evaluation of plans, programs and projects, monitoring of sustainability: indicators, ecological footprint, etc.